It’s been a wee while since checking in here.
I feel like I’ve been so busy, but at the same time not really knowing with what. There have been kids home with the flu, multiple birthday functions and my daughter’s first school ball to get excited about.. I’ve vended at a craft market, listed some yarn on Etsy, and sent a bunch more off to travel the country with Wool on Wheels!
Ok, so maybe thats a few things to contend with but here’s a couple of things I’ve been working on in the midst of all that..
If you read my first post you may have wondered what has happened with my plans to make the Slade Cardigan for my husband. It did not get cast on during our holiday due in large part to the all encompassing influence of Ken Follett’s World Without End which I started in on during the first evening. It did come to an end.. but only after three days of reading during which time no knitting got done. Loved the book though and it was perfect for a quiet winter holiday with lots of rain.
Slade got cast on during quieter moments of the Pretty Crafty market on the 21st of July… it was quickly apparent that learning to do a tubular cast on was not really what you want to be doing in public while serving customers so when I got home I got into it. The instructions on the pattern for the cast on seemed very complicated so I followed a Very Pink Knits tutorial on you-tube and used her method instead. Swoon.. I cant stop looking at those edges, they’re beautiful!
So I’m currently halfway up the first sleeve, having done the back and two fronts. Just sleeves and collar to go! Despite my trepidation at doing this knit flat and all the purling and seaming that that would entail, I find I am enjoying the challenge so far and learning a few new skills as well! I’m getting faster at the purl side and am excited to get it completed eventually – hopefully before spring kicks in properly and it becomes too warm to wear it!
Also.. I sewed something!
I bought this fabric aaaaages ago intending it for some Persephone Pants.. but that never quite happened. Happily though there was enough sitting there ready for me when the Meridian Dress by Papercut Patterns came onto my radar. It worked perfectly in the linen and is a great weight for these transitional seasons. The most challenging part for me of any sewing project is cutting it out, and this also usually involves the most procrastination. This one lay on the craft room floor for nearly a week, all weighted and ready but uncut. I know I’m mad! Finally getting it cut out and finding it a joy to sew has helped me find my creative mojo again. I always find the ‘sew-jo’ wanes in the wintertime, but starts to rise again in the spring and needs something to kick it off.
Anyway, it had its first outing to church on Sunday and loved it.. it will be getting much more wear!
Thanks for reading this long post! I’m going to try and get more regular so it wont need to be so lengthy!